No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Wednesday 5 November 2008

Obama and Kenya.



I just spoke to a few of my dear friends in Kenya, and the feeling there is ecstatic - they've even declared tomorrow a public holiday - I kid you not! But let's be realistic for one minute and think if this makes any real difference to the country where President Obama (Boy, that sounds good!) father comes from.


The US has an economic situation that is dismal to say the least. This needs real attention and this will (or at least should) be his first focus. In the process he might make it better for emerging or third world markets, but this will not be his main focus - and rightly so. He has to ensure the well being of the people that put him in office after all!


The situation in the Middle East will surely take up an enormous amount of his time. It needs to be resolved, and soon as well - but he cannot just pull the troops and expect things to get better on it's own. It would need to be well planned and very well executed.


What I can say is that we are all part of a little piece of history that will, I'm sure, go down as a landmark in the history books. I'm sure that this will make a difference to minorities in the US if he keeps his campaign promises, and will eventually filter down to the rest of the world.


To all my readers from the US - I cannot think that one of you supported the Bush Puppet man so good for you! I hope this brings the change you have voted for!


Good Luck Mister President!


TTFN

Ps: Just 'found' this picture on the web - is that a gay flag in the background? My my, but it seems Mr. Obama has a profound influence after all...

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Yes, history was made here in the
USA....It's time for a change and
it's time to get this once great
country back to where it was before
the Republicans took over....
I really hope for the best with
him.....
He is more gay friendly then McPain
Also, his VP isn't paying people
$150. for every wolf killed...
Read about Sarah Palin doing that.
It's sad....cause it even includes
pregnant ones....

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Lewis said...

One of the greatest parts about this whole thing has been the reports from Kenya....filled with energy, smiles, and happiness. I love that! And boy do we need some.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Billy. Love the last photo...indeed a rainbow flag in the dusty village of Kogelo...who'd have thought ey?

Most Kenyans are actually quite circumspect at the idea of an Obama presidency. We don't expect much in terms of change in American policy towards Africa as a region but in terms of pride- well most of us are really blown away. But he is American not Kenyan and we totally get that.

(And I'm personally grateful to Obama coz I get a day off work today!)

Laurie said...

Hey Billy....Just checking in
on you and Dawie....Making sure
all is alright there....

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!