No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Thursday 7 February 2008

The 'colonial' lifestyle.

A while ago I saw an interview with Richard E Grant. He grew up in some British colony (I do not remember which, my short term memory is SHOT!) and had a little gem of wisdom to share on colonial living. The three B's - Butlers, Booze and Bonking - or something like it. (STML - Short term memory loss has set in...) Why I thought of this is 'cause a few friends came over for dinner last night as I'll be away for a while and, well, we needed an excuse to drink a bottle of good red wine that I got as a gift from houseguests a while ago... (Trying to thin out the stock

As most people in Kenya, I also have a housekeeper to look after the normal day to day running of the household. Honestly, I wouldn't be as happy a camper as I am if this man was not in my home, making sure the place is neat and tidy, the basic foodstuffs in the house are fresh and available, and that services are paid and done. Really great to have this 'little luxury' in my home. Anyway, I didn't let him know that we would have guests for dinner last night, but in less than an hour he prepared a feast for dinner. We had Chipati (local version of a tortilla, I think), stir fried chicken strips marinated in oriental spices (Sesame Seed oil, oyster sause, soy, garlic, herbs and chili), a nice 'salsa' of tomato, avocado, spring onion and yellow pepper with a balsamic dressing, a bowl of fresh mixed lettuce leaves, tsatshiki (Cucumber and Yogurt), grated mature cheddar and a stunningly sweet fruit salad for desert. The meal was basically a 'build your own' around the dining room table - take a chipati and fill it with whatever it is your heart desires.

As for the other B (Bonking), I'm a failure. But, got the butler and the booze covered...

Have a pretty day now y'all!

TTFN

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Could that housekeeper be your
hubby? If so, could he come and
teach mine? j/k.

Except for the oysters what you had
for dinner sounds yummy. I love
fruits and veggies.

A Lewis said...

BBB? That's our Better Business Bureau here in the US. Hee hee. Every single meal you mention sounds just like one I'd love. I'm thinking that a trip to Africa is in order.