No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Friday 9 May 2008

Planning a move and other useless info...


As you might know, I'm being transferred back to SA from the beginning of July, so now we have to plan to take a few earthly possessions and obviously my clothing and personals down with me. It's not that I have anything specific of great value, but I do have quite a few things of great significance... It might mean nothing to somebody else, but to me these are memories that I need take with me, and place in our home in Pretoria lest I ever forget this phenomenal time of my life spent in paradise a.k.a Kenya.
So the process begins. Getting quotes from a number of relocation companies, deciding what is important and what I can actually just get rid of or (more likely) donate to some worthy charity. And this is where I'm surprising myself - yes, I actually gave a little yelp of utter surprise when I realized this. When I had to sit down and really decide what is important and not just a nice to have, it became apparent that I've changed in this time that I've spent in Kenya. You see, before pretty things were quite important to me - good brand names. Yes, I was a style queen... But now it seems with age comes wisdom (or stupidity, not quite sure which it is.). It is no longer the big and fancy or shiny item that must absolutely be crated up and packed on a container, but the small little items that have some sentimental value. The silly little wire boda-boda curio that I bought from a street vendor in Kampala, the framed carving acquired in Dar-es-Salaam once, the stack of kikoy's bought all over the country, the wind-chimes of little tin fish I found in Kisumu, the lopsided glass bowl my staff gave me for Christmas last year... Nothing of real value, but completely irreplaceable items nonetheless.
Nice... So, I have a whole house load of stuff that needs to be disposed of. Except for my books - that's getting packed first! Any ideas...
Hope y'all have a nice weekend now!
TTFN

1 comment:

Java said...

I love that photo! There's a big oops story in there somewhere. I hope your move is more successful than that!

Congratulations on simplification. I agree, taking the meaningful rather than the expensive as valuable, a sure sign of maturity.

Good luck!