No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Monday 3 September 2007

A whole week...

Just noticed that I've not posted anything for a whole week. just shows how busy I am... (He lies to himself.) Truthfully, been really crazy lately and have not had any real time to do the things that give me joy - instead of the things that keep me out of trouble - big difference there.

Spent a couple of days in Uganda last week - Kampala to be precise, and really enjoyed the trip, even if it was for work. After seeing 'The last king of Scotland', and now visiting the country where it took place was a rare pleasure. The history of Uganda still runs deep in the people of the country, and having talked to a lot of people while there, it seems that even after all these years, those events still have an effect on them.

The city itself is sparklingly clean, the faces all smile, and the 'boda boda's' (Motorcycle and bicycle taxi's) are harrowing. Some of these have up to five people on one motorbike! (Three adults, two kids sitting on the tank.) My driver, bless him, had me shooting prayers most of the time. He uses a ooooold Toyota that was certainly still used to transport furry animals to the Ark in Noah's time, and insisted that he was the fastest, smallest, most nimble thing on the road... My nerves where shot! (The glance I got from his side of the car after I screamed like a girl while he was overtaking into oncoming traffic was precious.) I will post a few pictures of my trip tonight when I've downloaded the camera.

The hotel - The Kampala Serena, is worth every Dollar, and the service, friendly staff, restaurants, facilities, in fact everything is top notch. Now, how can I get the company to send me there again and then I get to stay the weekend and go and see the gorillas...

Enough for now - hope y'all have a fruitful day!

TTFN

2 comments:

A Lewis said...

Looking at your site is like having an entire table full of yummy appetizers in front of me.....can't decide which one to take, so I take them all. They always leave me coming back for more. Such beautiful pieces.

"Tommy" said...

As always you bring a different prespective to the Life and Happenings in Africa.

Maybe one day I will get to experience some of the same things.

Its always a pleasure to read your blog.