No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Friday 26 October 2007

My loving, wonderful parents.


Travelling the world, I've experienced such a variety of cultures and different people (and varied views) that sometimes the lines get a little blurred. With me not being able to 'out' myself to anyone here in Kenya (except for a select few) and having to be guarded in my interactions with people in general is just so completely out of character for me. Hate it being back in the closet, so to speak...




I've been out to my parents from the age of 18, long before it became socially acceptable to have gay children, and way before it became fashionable to have at least one gay friend in your group. I remember my mom's reaction so well, and now, looking back at this, I'm feel a certain level of pride well up in me. You see, today my hubby is having his driving licence renewed in SA, and as the ques are a lot shorter in the town where my folks live instead of in Pretoria, we drive there to have it done - using their address and details in the process. Then hubby is joining my mom and aunt for their Friday ritual lunch - mom says at least she gets to spend time with one of her sons... (I'm the only boy - my two sisters live close to 'home' and get to see my folks quite often.) The relationship between my folks and my hubby is wonderful, especially since a previous relationship nearly led to me and my parents never speaking again. (This is a long story, and would require a post when and if I ever feel like sharing that part of history...)




Was it smooth sailing all the way with my folks? No, not at all, but as we all got a little older and a lot wiser, things changed and everybody made the right decision to include each other in each others lives. Now we can proudly stand up together as a family, hold our heads high and face the world as one, united family that will be there for each other till the end of time.




Have a blessed weekend!




TTFN
Ps: Pic of a 'family' of Zebra - thought it would be appropriate...

2 comments:

am mdkims said...

hey man, lovely, lovely post ... you have obviously come a long way and deserve all the happiness so may it shower on you like roses from heaven

My adventures said...

my hubby's and my family couldn't be more different from yours... how wonderful!!!