No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Thursday 24 January 2008

A new day brings a new outlook.


A new day has brought some perspective to my 'black hole' of a mind. Yes, it's like a little rainbow went up on the horizon, and I see the light! I've decided that, despite what the CEO's, MD's, Superficial Asslicking SOB's that want to dictate how and when things will happen in my life, I will control where, how and when anything of substance will take place! There - I will now be in control again...
This reminds me of my uncle Piet (My grandfather's youngest brother). He was a wonderfully eccentric man that emigrated to South Africa from Holland at the tender age of 77. At that stage, he decided that he'd had enough of Europe, and needed a change of scenery. Once of twice a month, Dawie and I would drive out to the retirement village in a small town not far away from Pretoria, and spend a Sunday with him. He loved Dawie, loved teasing him and the two of them loved tinkering around in his little garden. (Dawie has green fingers and can make a broom-stick grow, I on the other hand, will kill a fern in seconds) He passed away last year, but before he went, he left me with a few choice 'statements of life'.
1. In dutch he'd say - 'So is dat dan!' (So it is.)
Basically, he meant that if you cannot change something, either accept it, or just don't worry about it. He was so accepting of me and my hubby, and loved spending time with us, and we in turn, loved spending time with him.
2. Fuck-em!
Now, I don't usually swear on my blog, but this was a choice statement made one Sunday. We were at his place for a visit, and late in the afternoon he put Ella Fitzgerald on the Hi-Fi and duly turned up the volume - turned it up quite loud actually. I said to him that the 'old folks' (The other retirement village residents was referred to as old folks by him...) were probably sleeping, afternoon nap time, and that we should turn it down a bit in case we wake them. He looked me straight in the eye and said 'Fuck-em!'. So, if somebody clicks their tongue at me, or gives me and hubby a disapproving glance, we just say...
3. 'Seun, wees geliefd. Maar as dat liefde niet genoeg zein, soek dat rede by jouself'
Roughly translated, and my dutch SUCKS, it means 'Son, be loved. And if love does not seem enough, look for the reason within yourself.' It never really made a lot of sense to me, but it sank in after a while. Allow yourself to be loved! Then, and only then, can you truly love in return.
There is so much else he taught me before he passed away at a young 84, but the one thing that I will carry with me forever, is that you should live every day to the absolute max, and that only you can make a choice to be badly affected by it all. This is my life choice today!
Hope you all have a wonderful, fruitful day!
TTFN

2 comments:

My adventures said...

what a wonderful guy he sounds like!!! i'm sure he felt blessed to have the two of you in his life and i agree with 1, 2 and 3.... how anything affects us is a choice that we make!!! wise man indeed!!!

A Lewis said...

Maybe you should swear more. It may help!