No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Monday 14 January 2008

News and stuff.




Life has settled down again, and I'm fully into the swing of things here in Nairobi. As I promised in my previous post, I have quite a bit of news to share...




Let's start with the holidays. It was mostly wonderful, with a few glitches along the way. Firstly my dad was admitted to hospital for an emergency operation a day after his birthday, and this left a bit of strain. He's fine now, but you do worry about your folks when they start getting on in years. Then, a dear friend was also admitted after Christmas, and was diagnosed with a malfunctioning liver. He's had yellow fever a few years ago, and this in turn damaged his liver functions, and with all the rich food and festivities over the Christmas season, this just aggravated the matter. Well, at least now we have a another designated driver when we go out for the evening. His life partner has diabetes and was always the poor bugger that had to drive, as he never consumed anything that might affect him badly! And that, my dear friends, is all the bad news!




The good news - Dawie and I bought a new home this season. It's a lovely new development in Pretoria that is big enough for us but not so big that it becomes a menace. Lovely finishing -tiled right trough, marble tops for kitchen and bathrooms, lots of cupboard space, down lighters right trough the house, good fixtures and fittings and well built. So, that move is booked for March. Hubby is already planning the layout of the new garden and deck, so I can already see that our weekends for the next while being occupied...




The other big news is that I've accepted a new post in Cape Town. This will start from March as well, and would mean that I get to spend every weekend at home, which is a hell of a lot more than at the moment. Will fly up to Johannesburg every Friday, and back to Cape Town every Sunday - it's only a two hour flight after all... The post is going to be a challenge, and will involve a lot of travel (besides the weekly commute) but I'm looking forward to it, and at least I get to spend more time with my family.




The truth is that I'll miss Kenya and living here. Despite the recent turmoil in the country, it is still a phenomenal place to live and work - and my heart is already heavy when it comes to my staff members, they are all such great guys! Will miss them terribly...




Oh well, must get back to the grindstone. No rest for the wicked, and I'm still flying to Cape Town this week, so time is limited.




Hope y'all have a fab day!




TTFN




Ps: Picture is of this weekend - we had a picnic in the garden... Life is HELL in Africa!




2 comments:

A Lewis said...

Damn it! And I have missed out on being able to see you in Kenya. Sigh. Great news about the new post and new home! And somuch better being closer to your honey. Keeping your parents in my prayers and thoughts.

My adventures said...

congrats on all the good news!!! and damn, kenya was on my list... one of my goals for this year is to get to mauritius, if i do, i'll make sure i connect thru somewhere that we can meet!!! good luck with all the new changes in your life...