No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Monday 6 April 2009

The weekend (Part 2)





So the weekend is done. A very emotional and 'draining' experience, but also extremely cleansing... Weird, but it feel like a ton of bricks was lifted of my emotional state. It was the worst thing I've ever had to do, but also one of the single most cleansing (and amazing) experiences I've ever had.






We arrived at Crystal Springs on Friday eve, had some dinner and a good cry, took my 'cocktail' to go to sleep and woke up pretty early on Saturday Morning. Tried to eat some breakfast and then set off for God's Window. L & B - dear old friends, brought some white lilies along that we carried up the mountain. White lilies was Dawie's favourite... It's about a half an hour's heavy hike to the top of the mountain - past the normal viewpoints and trough the rain forest to the absolute top.






The mountain was covered with mist and it was rather chilly. We found a secluded spot on a cliffs edge and we each said a few words. The mist was thick and cold, but as I tipped the earn and slowly started scattering his ashes, a gust of wind came up and blew the spot were we stood open and clear. You could see for miles and miles of indigenous forest and mountains. It was absolutely amazing, for as the last of the ashes fell to the ground, the mist slowly engulfed the spot were we stood again and you could hardly see a few feet ahead of you. And then this amazing peace descended on me...






The other friends started going back down again but L and I stood there for a few more minutes, said a prayer together and then started down the mountain again. When we got to the bottom, we all stood in a circle and just hugged each other for a while.






I'm thankful that this could be shared with friends. I'm thankful that these friends truly loved Dawie and that we could all experience this moment together. I'm thankful for so much, but the one thing that I'm most thankful for is that I could share a few years of my life with Dawie, and that I was there for him when he left this world for the next, better place. Yes, I miss him terribly, but I'm also more and more aware that our time together was extremely special. Very few people ever get a chance to be so close to another human being...






I love you D.






TTFN

5 comments:

A Lewis said...

And you know that I was right there with you...in spirit....right? I can't imagine a more perfect moment created for you. Just for you. And the "bricks off of the shoulders" feeling? Priceless.

Tamaku said...

It's so poignant, thanks for sharing this. You can be certain Dawie is smiling and walking all the way with you.

Anonymous said...

Ah Sweetheart...The hardest parts
are ending...There will always be
that little ping of pain but all
will be fine...You are so loved and
thought of all the time...

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful few moments for you in the clearing mist, filled with love and shared with those closest.

My adventures said...

That post is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read!