No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Friday 12 June 2009

Economic Downturn...

This seems to be the 'catchphrase' of the moment. Everyone is talking about the world's economic recession and what influence this is having on all and sundry. And even here on the Southern Tip of Africa it is having a profound effect on everyone - including me...

I've never believed in having too much debt, so on that level I'm actually smiling and my standard of living has not really been affected much, but for my parents, well, they are really feeling the effects. Not that they have any debt, but they are retired and are living of the interest on their investments - and with interest rates at an all time low, their income is a lot less than it was, say, a year ago. And pricing of general home ware and groceries are at an all time high. Tough one - so once again proving that no matter how well we plan things for our old age, it's not going to work out exactly as we planned.

To be honest, they are moaning with the golden spoon in the mouth - they still only shop at a high end grocery store, they still go on 'holiday' (Would you call it holiday if you're retired?) 6 to 8 times a year, but I can see that the economy is pinching a bit...

And this brings me to my point - I don't have children to fall back on if I ever get to that point in my life. My folks can bargain on me and my sisters to look after them if the need arises, but where will I look to if I ever get into that position? My Yorkies - as much as they would try, would not be able to look after daddy dearest in his moment of need? Not that my folks would ever be dependent on us, but they have the fallback, and I just don't...

Just a thought. A morbid one, but a thought none the less...

Have a pretty weekend y'all!

TTFN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll find some young
hottie to take care of you in your
time of need LOL!

TACKLE YOU HUGS!!!!!!

Laurie

Tamaku said...

I see a business opportunity to set up a retirement home for gentlemen of a certain sexual orientation...

My adventures said...

tamaku, that's been done here... one in lauderdale, santa fe and phoenix... i'd say you can only rely on yourself to take care of you... i've given it plenty of thought recently, ha! it's just me i can count on for sure!!