No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Monday 13 August 2007

Smoking & my mood!

I know it's probably all in my head (as in phsycological you dirty bastards!) but I'm in a bit of a mood today! I've cut down to one every four hours or so, and in between I'm CRAVING a fag! (Well, that too, but this one comes with a Camel logo...) Oh, and it's payroll time - so sitting here checking spreadsheet upon spreadsheet of data to make sure we don't skip anybody at the end of the month. My desk is covered in a multitude of colourful files - red (temporary staff), orange (contract staff), blue (permanent employees - editorial), green - well, more turquoise really (permanent employees - advertising) etc etc etc.

So why am I quitting? Besides the obvious reason - it's not good for me, I actually have this all worked out in my mind - should make no sense to another human being, but these are my reasons...

1. I hate the smell of smoke on my clothes! (BTW - have never smoked in my own house or car - cannot stand the smell of it!)

2. Dawie and I are saving for a long, expensive holiday - We worked out that between the two of us, we spend nearly R1400 ($200) per month on smokes, and if we save this money, we can take a trip to a favourite holiday spot next year December. (Holidays are cheaper in SA) We've opened an additional savings account for this purpose, and will be depositing the money there every month. This is our incentive...

3. Smoking has become a hassle - no smoking areas, no smoking in public places... Now it's a 'schlep' to go for a siggie...

4. It controls my life, instead of me controlling it!

There is surely a lot more that I can say here, but these are the main reasons. I refuse to be controlled by a smelly, expensive addiction any longer. (Self talking to self!)

Now, y'all keep your fingers (and toes) crossed, cause this is going to be a battle - but it's still SO worth it!

TTFN

2 comments:

A Lewis said...

As requested, everything is crossed,tied, and wound up in a knot. Hoping. Wishing.

My adventures said...

i'll be smoke free for 3 years on oct. 19... yeah!!! savings over $9000 so far... wish i had saved it.... anyway, i used to pretend to smoke, taking really long exaggerated drags and deeply inhaling... the inhaling was very calming and the desire passed... it worked for me, you might want to try it... oh, and dum dums helped too... the little miniature lollipops... good luck... if you quit completely, you'll be amazed at how well you'll feel... the effects and desire leave in about a week or two if you can stick it out... like lewis, i'll cross everything too... good luck !!!!