No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Thursday 9 August 2007

Woman's Day.

Today is Woman's day in South Africa - a public holiday there, and a celebration of events that took place on this day in 1956. On that day, 20,000 women marched to the Union Buildings in Pretoria with a petition for the Prime Minister, and demanded the abolishment of the pass laws.

Pass law - for those not familiar with SA history, was a law whereby all black people had to carry a pass to enter 'white' areas, and if they did not have this pass, they would face arrest and imprisonment. What this basically meant, was that to work in the 'white' areas, you had to carry a silly little book with you giving you the right to be there...

Now that Apartheid has been abolished - thankfully, I would like to use this day to celebrate women in general.

So here's to you girls! All my dear female friends, and even the one's I don't know -


big shout out to you!
(But I still don't wanna sleep with you, sorry...) ;-)
On another note, a new (well sorta) club has opened in Nairobi, and finally gay folks have a place they can go to and be themselves. Apparently (Have not been there) people are quite open and actual PDA takes place!!! This is a big step folks - I've never been in such a closeted society in my life. But now some bigoted fool wants to go there and 'out' these people in the media.
Obviously the fellow has the mental capacity of a warthog dropping, but more importantly what happened to live and let live? In my youth, I fought very hard in SA for the abolishment of apartheid, walked in Pride Marches to get the message across that gay people are actually not directly descended from Lucifer himself, and fought very hard (In my own little way.) to have a constitution instituted in SA that gave freedom to ALL people, just to be faced with the same type of bigotry in a country that should be free.
Now I realize this is Africa, and I realize that religion still rules this world, but come on folks - get over your own little fears and obsessions - after all, every time I meet someone that protest so vehemently about something, my first thought is ' The lady doth protest too much!'
OMG - suddenly my very meek and mild little blog has become a soapbox - will be getting off now and getting back into my shell. Thank you for bearing with me, and 'listening' to my rant!
Hope y'all have a fruitful day - and give a woman a hug today!
TTFN

4 comments:

My adventures said...

well, thank you very much...

you've totally ruined my self image now that i know i'm not a direct descendant of lucifer!!!

ewww, that means my mom did actually sleep with my dad...

ewwwwww........

A Lewis said...

I'll kiss and hug every single woman I see today.....Now, does it actually matter if I know them or not???

A Bear in the Woods said...

Testify, Sugar!
|the fellow has the mental capacity of a warthog dropping."

Here's a Zen koan for you...What is the sound of one warthog dropping?

Shubhang Arora said...

http://www.mybloglog.com/buzz/community/2007072021272191/

hi please join this community

and i would like to exchange link with you my url is http://www.noteseditor.blogspot.com reply by posting a comment on my blog or you can email me at pawni_arora@yahoo.co.in