No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Thursday 16 August 2007

Sunny Skies.

Woke up this morning to a wonderfully sunny day, for the first time in what feels like forever. A beautiful sunny day to me, is like a little peace of heaven on earth. It gives me the will to live again - the energy to go ahead and achieve that 'extra' little bit, and it puts me in the most wonderful mood. Think this is part of the reason I love to live in Africa so much, cannot stand the dreary gray days that so much of the 'western' world is subjected to... My mood is wonderful today, and I'm starting to feel alive and 'fitter' for not pumping my body so full of toxin all the time! Have not completely quit smoking yet, but it's getting there, and already has a positive effect on my wellbeing... (But, this will not be another post on my personal little struggle, as it seems it's all I can talk about at the moment...)


Thought I'd share a few more pictures from my 'travels' across East Africa. Above is a pic from a beach house in Diani on the South Coast. I can sit and watch the sea for hours on end - helps if you're surrounded by good friends and a ready supply of Pina Colada's (Made with fresh coconut milk straight from the tree/palm!)


This is called a 'Dawa' - swahili word for medicine. (Luckily, does not taste like cough medicine at all!)


Recipe is:


A double tot of Vodka in a short glass,

A big spoonful of honey,

Cut a few limes in in thirds, place in the glass and give it all a bit of a squeeze,

Top up with crushed ice, place a straw cut in half in the glass and serve.

Prepare to see your friends and family turn into fools in a REALLY short time! This stuff tastes wonderful, but it does have a bit of a kick!


Last one for today - time has caught up with me...
This is a baby elephant at the elephant sanctionary in Langata in Nairobi - precious little baby was taking a nap and was covered in a blanky! How utterly adorable, and to adopt one costs only Ksh4,000 per year - that is about US$60 per year! That feeds them and helps to rehabilitate the 'little' critter back into the wild. Don't know if I've mentioned this before, but of all the wild animals out there, Loxodanta Africana (African Elephant) is my favourite!
Well, that's all for now.
Hope y'all have a most wonderful day!
TTFN

1 comment:

A Bear in the Woods said...

Dawa sounds entirely good for ones health and state of mind.