No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Monday 20 August 2007

Weekend & Shopping.

We were blessed with a nice sunny/rainy/sunny weekend. Did a few things, but in general did not really occupy my time too much - in fact, Sunday was spent around the house - in vegetable mode...

On Saturday I did a bit of shopping - my laptop bag broke a while ago, and have not found something that I really like to date, but popped into 'Sand & Storm' and found this 'butch' little number - made of canvas and leather and I think it suits my 'African' lifestyle to a tee... (Mine is more a green colour canvas.)
I'm very hard on a laptop, travel a lot and this poor thing gets lugged all over the place, so me thinks its good to put it in a bag that is a bit more sturdy, and can take all the paraphernalia that goes with business travel.


Then I did the first 'drive trough' furniture shopping I've ever done in my life! All over Kenya you get the 'jui kali' shops - jui kali in Swahili means 'in the hot sun' and it basically means guys that make their living by manufacturing furniture, gates, metal works etc etc next to the road in the hot sun. Here is a picture of my 'jui kali' guy, Peter in his little place on earth. I call him my 'jui kali' guy, 'cause his done a lot of work for me, and I will not go to another one - he knows my little 'idiosyncrasies' by now... Basically, the drive trough bit came this Saturday 'cause it was pouring with rain in the morning, and it was extremely muddy next to the road where his shop is. As Peter knows my car by now, he came up to the car when I stopped to order a new 'outside sideboard' for my veranda. We duly did the whole transaction while I was seated comfortably in my car, and poor Peter ran to and from his little shop to show me samples, colours, finishes etc. I will post a picture of the sideboard when it's done - which should be next weekend! Handmade, custom made and cheap as chips...
Sunday I made a stunning leek and sweet potato soup and spent the day lounging around the house. Oh, I nearly forgot - also purchased three pieces of art for the middle guest room - just having it framed and will be able to collect on Friday. Will also post a picture of these when done.
All this shopping is surely a sign of something - think it's me trying to reward myself for quitting smoking! Not quite there yet, but down to three fags a day now (The dirty nasty kind, not the nice 'edible' variety! - Keep your minds clean guys!)
Gotta get back to my life now, been trying to post something intelligent all morning!
Hope y'all have a wonderful, fruitful day!
TTFN

1 comment:

A Lewis said...

A purse??!! You bought a purse? Of course you saw my post the other day on that issue......