No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Monday 28 April 2008

It is official...


Yes, it is official. I am relocating back to South Africa by the end of next month... And, to be honest, I'm completely confused. I wanted this - I wanted to be 'home' to look after the hubby and to make sure that he is his own self again. It is my duty, nay, my pleasure to be there for him in his time of need and I'm looking forward to being the man he deserves. After all, love flourishes not just during the good times, but also during the hard times So why am I so sad?


I've learnt to love this country... No, not just this country, but I've learnt to love the people here.

The friendly, totally phenomenal nature of the Kenyan nation makes me feel at home - always. And that is what makes this place so wonderful. In fact, someone said to me a while ago that I'm a Kikuyu of South African Decent - but I think that because I'm so utterly tight with money! Oh well, I saw it as a compliment... I will miss my members of staff that I've learnt to love dearly, I will miss the humour in the traffic in the mornings when the Matatus drive like absolute maniacs. I'll miss the chaos of the city, and the peace and quiet at my home. I will miss the fruit that still taste like fruit - not just 'shiny mudguards' on the outside and watery and tasteless on the inside. I will miss my friends and work mates. Sad? Yes, sad that I have to leave this place and move on to other things, but also glad that I've been able to spend a small portion of my life in this place, and with these people. Glad that I've had the chance to learn from them, and that I've been able to see that joy comes from within...

Ah well, so it is then. ('So is dat dan' - my Dutch uncle used to say!) Now to decide what I'll call my blog from the end of the month? Any suggestions?

Have a pretty day now y'all!

TTFN

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've never met but I loved reading your take on Kenya.

I know how you're feeling. I relocated from South Africa back home to Kenya recently and still have plenty of nostalgia for the 'mother city'.

All I say is once a Kikuyu, always one! he he..

BTW you should totally call your blog '101 ways in which I love Dawie' :)

Seriously though carry some Kenyan chai with you. Red roses just didn't cut it with me.

Laurie said...

I'm so glad that you'll be home
for the hubby!! If I was there I'd
help ya take care of him and make
sure he took care of himself too.

With you leaving the people you've
worked with for so long I know how
you feel. I wish you happiness in
everything that you do. May you
know that I only wish the two of
you the best.

HUGS!!!! To you and D!!

A Lewis said...

Funny how the good always comes with the bad and the other way around. I just read an article today on the airplane about Kenya...the safari guides and their lives in their country. Thought of you. So:
SA Worm
SAW
Southern Exposure
South African Antics

None of them are really hitting it off for me, quite frankly. And I'm still disappointed that I didn't make it to enjoy a cup of Kenyan coffee on your patio with you. My huge loss.

Anonymous said...

My suggestion is 'Kenya Butterfly' or just 'Butterfly'.
Transformation. etc...

Billy said...

WY - Yes, I'll be a Kikuyu forever... Thank's for the kind words - from me and the hubby. Will carry a LOT of Kenyan stuff with me - a whole 40ft containers worth in fact.

Laurie - Always nice hearing from you sweetie. Such a kind heart...

Lewis - South Africa has coffee and veranda's too... Will take the names into consideration.

Weseen - Nice to see you cus' Hate the name, since when am I a butterfly. More like a rhino maybe...

Diederick said...

Do you have to change the name when you move?

Oh well, I though Kenya Worm was a bit odd anyway...

I love the South African type-of-Dutch, so simple.