No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Tuesday 8 April 2008

A weekend, a Monday and other stuff!

The weekend was probably supposed to be quite and relaxing, but allas, it turned out differently. Well, not that this is all bad, but sometimes one needs to just switch off a bit... Anyway, such is life and I did (begrudgingly) enjoy myself most of the time.

Friday night I had a few people over for dinner as a work friend (also 'family') from Cape Town was here and stayed with me for a couple of days. She was the guest of honour and we had a lovely Hungarian Goulash with Basmati Rice and a Chickpea, Feta and Spinach salad. This was followed by Ice Cream, Strawberries and a rich chocolate sauce. Then we opened another bottle of wine, and then another, and then another and then... (You get my drift!) It ended up with a bottle of Wild Turkey being finished and us seeing her off for her 7am flight without bothering too much with sleep. Here I just want to mention, I'm not really a heavy drinker anymore, but my dear friends are, and as the host, had to stay awake for this little episode. The house looked like a bomb had hit it, and the poor housekeeper was kept busy the whole of Saturday morning to clean up after this bunch... (Bless him!)

Did not feel like crawling into bed immediately so just cleaned up a bit and then went for lunch with E at the Yaya Centre. Also got a haircut and manicure and now felt like a new person. Went home, the power went out and I decided - might as well go to bed... Slept from around 7.30 to the next morning around 9! Have not done that in a looooong time.

Sunday was spent just veg'ing in front of the TV and watching one movies after another... The main thing is that I'm missing home. It's been OK to be away from home for over two years now, but with Dawie not really being well at the moment, I need to be there to look after him and to ensure that he gets better. We have a blessed relationship, and here is the man that I want to spend every moment of my waking life with and I'm just not able to get to him quickly enough to take care of him. Yes, the process has started, and yes, it looks like my transfer will take place at the end of next month, but time is now dragging and it's driving me nuts!

It's not that he is not able to look after himself, or that he really 'needs' me to be there (He's quite indipendent), but I need to be there and to be with him trough his difficult time. He has always supported me in every endeavour that I've tackled, and now, during his time of need I'm not able to be there for him just because of my job... It's frustrating! Time must go a little quicker now!

In the meantime my loving parents are looking after him in my absence (It was mom's 66th birthday on Sunday), and my two sisters are there to support him every step of the way. Thank you dearest, dearest family! I do not know what I would have done without you...


TTFN

2 comments:

Laurie said...

You know Dawie understands about
your job. I'm so glad you have
such a supportive family. That
makes the world a better place
My love and hugs to all!!

My adventures said...

that's so nice your family is there for him, you're both very fortunate!