No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Tuesday 22 April 2008

Life's variety.

I grew up in apartheid South Africa (for those of you who do not know yet!) and was, due to birth, not by choice part of the 'elite white' society. My parents always taught us that all people are equal and that colour/race/sex etc does not a person make, but that we should accept all people based on who they are, not what they are, and I thank them for this insight, because when the opportunity came for me to have a political voice I was in the forefront screaming for the abolishment of that stupid system called apartheid - and thankfully that happened with the first truly democratic elections in 1994.

The reason why I put this down as an 'opener' to my post is that, if I were one of the narrow minded 'biggots' that came out of Apartheid SA, I would have missed out on so much in my life. I would not have made some great 'local' friends here in Kenya, I would not have had dinner last night with a friend from Vietnam, I would not have met such a diverse and colourful group of people in my remarkable life. It's remarkable not because I've made such an impression on the world, but because the world has made such a remarkable impression on me! How can we truly say that we are better or worse than anybody else, or base our judgements of people on something other than their personality? And then, base this judgement of their personality on their background as well. The old saying about having to walk in somebody Else's shoes before you make up your mind is remarkably true... (Remarkable seems to be my word of the day!)

Don't know why I needed to share that, but consider it shared. Let life be your guide and let goodness be the light!

Hope y'all have a pretty wonderful and diverse day!

TTFN

4 comments:

Diederick said...

I have a great-uncle in South Africa, or had actually. He was a very kind man and also never discriminated on his farm, or so I heard. One day one of his workers, it must have been somewhere last year, wanted a raise. He didn't give him the raise, because none of his other employees were complaining. When all other employees left with their payment, this rebel employee came upon him and shot him dead.

It is a messy world out there. My great-aunt (his wife) still lives in South Africa, and keeps running the farm for as far as I know. The employee was never heard from again. The most wonderful movie on the subject of racial discrimination is "Crash," if you'd ask me. I recommend it.

A Lewis said...

Diederick said it best: It is a messy world out there. I admire your point of view and positive attitude. Could you please come here to the US and run for President? We need some serious help.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Kenya in a 'multi-colour' household- my parents both Kenyan, one white and one black.

I never felt 'different' until I went to South Africa though. I lived in SA for about three years- and thats the only time in my life I have been classified according to 'colour'.

The beautiful thing about it though is that I met several wonderful people in SA to whom it didn't matter at all! My first boyfriend was a white South African whose grandparents were within the apartheid regime. We were of the same race- the human race.

Colour is only skin deep.

Laurie said...

Yeah Billy! Your parents are
amazing people. I wish that all
parents would raise their kids like
that.

HEY DAWIE!!!

HUGS!!!!