No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Thursday 17 April 2008

Ramblings.

Have quite a bit to do today and my inbox is so full it seems ever so slightly pregnant, but I just cannot get myself to really get down and get the work done. I have a head office that is annoying the shit out of me, and a Human Resource (said VERY lightly!) department that is frankly just not being very resourceful. Oh well, will not give up on this little fight and will continue to give it my all - but after this cup of coffee...

On another note my car died and is at the doctors (also knows as General Motors) at the moment. None of the little light things on the dashboard come on when you turn the key, so I'm stuck with one of the pool cars. (I know, it could be worse, I could have no car!) But, I like my truck and the size gives you an advantage in the traffic, and this little 'chick 4X4' that I have to drive now is just not so intimidating!!! By the way, the 'chick 4X4' thing comes from D - he's always referred to these little four wheel drive cars as chick 4X4's. (RAV4's, CRV's, Baby Pajero's etc) This is probably the reason he's always wanted to drive one...

The 'trouble' in the country seems to have no end and every politician and his friend have decided to stick their heads in the ground ala ostrich. This time around it's a gang of people called the 'mungiki' - hope I've spelled it correctly. They are basically a criminal gang that has enormous political clout and it seems at the moment as if nobody dares confront these people. It is such a pity, as all it does is go to the international media and they, once again, advice against travel to this stunning country. This is really hurting more than it's achieving... Well, violence begets violence...

I know this post is all over the place but that is how my mind is working at the moment. Read one paragraph at a time and it should make some sense...

D is travelling again this week and spent 13 hours on the road yesterday. Sometimes I wish he didn't like his job as much as he does, but I will not try and force him to do something he does not want to do. It's a long day and he's dead tired at the end of it. Spoke to him last night (as we do every night) and he sounded like the walking dead. Sounds better this morning, but I still worry about him. I am, after all, the last of the great 'warriors'...

Have lots of other things going on at the moment but need to get my head down and start writing this damn report - or sit until the sun comes back up again tomorrow. Hope I did not bore you to death...

TTFN

1 comment:

Diederick said...

Not at all.

"...and the size gives you an advantage in the traffic," that's hilarious! Haha!