No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Tuesday 1 April 2008

Another update...

Last night the hubby called me to inform me that our GP asked him to check into hospital today for further tests as she was not sure exactly what was wrong, and that she needed the assistance of a viral expert. It goes without saying that I did not sleep very well. I need to be in SA to support him, not stuck here with mountains of work and no real way of assisting him. Did call my Mom, and she immediately set the wheels in motion to make sure that everything is looked after while he spends time in the hospital. Collected the kids (dogs!), made sure that the house will be looked after, went shopping for dried fruits and treats for boring hospital stay etc etc. (My dear Mother is a real mother -hen sometimes). My dear baby sister (36 years young, will be my baby sis forever) who works for the medical aid that we belong to made sure that the authorizations were done (even thought she works in a different department) and that there would be no hiccup when he checks in this evening. Big sis and hubby offered to cart him to the hospital and make sure that he does not need to leave a car in the lot for the time he's there.

Then, a few minutes ago, he calls me and tell me that the doc has decided that it would not be necessary as she and the viral expert have consulted and that they've decided on a different course of treatment. He would only be required to spend a few hours in the clinic tomorrow, but that they think they know what's the matter, and that they will treat it accordingly. If, in three weeks there is no improvement, he would then need to spend a week in the hospital for further tests.

What I've realized is that, despite me not being there at the moment - and feeling really helpless and stupid, my family will support and stand in for me in my absence. I've realized that my hubby is as much a part of my family as I am, and that we are loved - as a couple. This is rare - really rare. So few gay couples have the 'luxury' of family support on their side, and when it happens so easily and without judgement, it makes the world a better place.

Thank you mommy, daddy big sis (and big sis' hubby) and little sis. You are all really, really special! Love y'all lots!

TTFN

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Billy,

I'm keeping y'all in my prayers
All will be fine with the hubby.
I send my love and wish all well.

HUGS!!!!

Thank God for your family. They
are wonderful!

My adventures said...

It's nice to know there are families out there like that!