No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Friday 18 April 2008

A Thursday of old movies.


Over the last two evenings I've actually spent quite a bit of time watching TV. I know, I know - it is a device that slowly but surely draws out your braincells and replaces them with green jelly, but my books are read and I haven't had a chance to go to the bookstore yet and get some new 'entertainment' for myself.

To be honest, I do watch a few selected shows but tend to switch on the box more for 'company' in the house during my evenings alone. Flicking trough the channels on Wednesday evening I came across a classic movie (it wasn't a classic at the time, it is now!) which I went to watch with my 'first' crush in 1984 - at the ripe old age of 16... I remember Footloose as being extremely well done with great dance sequences, music and dialog, in general, a wonderful movie. In fact, I remember Ariel Martinez (my first crush) and I went to see it more than once... Watching it now, I was a little disappointed. It's not that it was a weak movie, but what happened in the 24 odd years since then - have I become such a cynic that I cannot enjoy mindless entertainment anymore? Do I need to be over stimulated (Keep it clean guys!) to enjoy myself? At least it was nice to take a little stroll along memory lane again... (I sound as old as the crypt keeper...)

On another front, going to spend the day in the Nairobi Nature Reserve tomorrow with a few friends - making a nice picnic, have a few drinks and in general just relax. Did I mention that the entrance to a fully fledged game reserve is a mere 10Km from my front door? How amazing is that! I love Africa!

Hope y'all have exciting, meaningful, relaxing, thoughtful, boring, lazy, warm & fuzzy (In fact, whatever you want it to be!) weekends,

TTFN

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Sometimes you just need to shed a
few brain cells.

I was a SIXTEEN CANDLES fan myself.

FINALLY!! You're going to relax!
It's about danged time too.

BIG HUGS to you and Dawie!!!

A Lewis said...

Footloose was HOT. Very. I loved it. Probably from growing up in a similar town. Actually, they filmed it in Utah (I think) which is right next door to where I was in Idaho. I remember buying the cassette of the music for my car.