No longer in Kenya (aaah!) but still a Kenyan at heart...

Monday 21 April 2008

My home country.



This Monday started quite well, sunny pretty day here in Nairobi and all well.




The weekend was really pleasant, spent some time with a dear friend and went trough the National Park that is situated here in Nairobi. Had a nice picnic lunch and duly got a little lost, but that is par for the course. How do you expect me to read a map and look at/for animals at the same time? I'm blond after all, and male, multi - tasking is not part of the package! And no, you could not stop and ask for directions - zebra are not to keen to chat with the average human being type person! Then went to pick up some art pieces that I had re framed, and they look absolutely stunning! Will post those pictures soon, but today's picture is the African Bush.


Sunday was a very calm, homely type of day just spent doing as little as possible. I love days where you just do not have to be pleasant, friendly, clean shaven etc. It does help that I was alone all day and could actually just be... Some TV (Scanned channels for about a minute before it bugged me that there is 'nothing to watch' and switched it off!), finished a new book, and slept some. Made a nice chicken and avocado salad for lunch and just laid around. Spoke to the hubby for an hour (!) on the phone and did not do anything else that required anything more than the minimum brain power. Really nice day!


On another note. I'm really proud of the 'new South Africa' that has come about after the 1994 free elections. Yes, there are certain things that are still not right, but the basics are there and if everybody just plays by the rules (Wishfull thinking!), it should be a stunning place for all people - but then you get 'arseholes' like these. Why do people feel that they have to take everything to the extreme? Hubby and I went to the Pink Leorie festival a few years ago, and it's a stunning event where the whole little town of Knysna opens it's heart to the gay community. People (gay and straight) all run around with long pink feathers and everybody just has a gay old time (pun intended!). So why is it necessary for these religious groups to now make 'threats' against this institution that is about 8 years old? I hope the organisers will take these guys to the constitutional court and get a ruling against them for hate speech!
That's all for today! Hope y'all have a really pretty week now!
TTFN

4 comments:

Laurie said...

YOU REALLY DID IT!! You really
relaxed!! I'm so proud of you!!!


I don't know if you've heard of the
'church' here in the states it's
in Kansas and these people are just
real hateful. I would like to go
and slap the stupidity and hate
right out of them.

Anonymous said...

Its really distressing that most African nations still perpetuate discrimination on grounds of sexuality, gender, race among others. But one day.... things will change... thats what I hold on to.

A Lewis said...

I can't believe that this world is still fighting and warring on so many different topics. Over and over. A new reason to hate.

Java said...

It sounds like a lovely weekend. One of my favorite things to do is nothing.

Lewis, I'm afraid hate is endemic. Always has been, always will be. And there will always be people like you to fight it.